Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mangrove

Hoe Koon surprised me with a gift - a Balinese painting - when he came for ch’eng beng and taught me how to mount it. It’s the usual modern Balinese style, its serene calm, placid like its food and so rejecting colour, denying its violent past. I showed him my early Balinese style work which had some colour and which to my astonishment turned out to be earlier than the earliest hanging at the Bali Museum of Art.

Just finished Pramoedya Toer’s Arok of Java. What a great story teller. Its all about pre Islam Java with its many castes, religions and the rise to power of a low caste Arok, taught by a guru to be a learned Brahmin steeped in the Sanskrit language and tradition. The battles, killings and plots reminds me of the chaos of The Three Kingdoms.

The koel who whistled his two and half tone courting song very loud for the world to hear must have found his mate. There seems no other explanation for his sudden silence.

The tiny mangrove plants which evidenced the depositing of Kuala Muda silt on our beaches which disappeared have now reappeared, 6 of them thrusting upwards above the waves

1 comment:

Yiong said...

I need to re-read his books. They are popular among the Dutch in Dutch translations but I get more out of them if I read them in English. Have you read the very moving, elegiac 'Girl from the Coast' which is about his grandmother?