Sunday, August 23, 2009

Firefly and Greta Garbo



Betong boasts an enormous statue of Buddha which was a donation from China, I am told.

At Albert’s place the other night we saw a dvd of nine year old Niu Niu playing Mozart. I liked the way he played Mozart. Unlike others who perform as if they were deep into Beethoven such as Ridi Lupu he smiled and looked around as he played, a real entertainer. I wonder why his parents call him Niu Niu (bull bull). Reminds me of the old song Abdul and Bull bull le mare (not sure of the last two words though).

I was astonished to see a bright light coming from the bathroom floor one night. As is usual when one is completely astonished it never occurred to me that what shone like a lighthouse in the darkness was but a firefly until KH came in and identified it. The creature was however dead. I havent seen any fireflies around here and indeed none since I was a kid.

I went crazy the other day at the music shop and bought dvds of Soviet and Russian ballet, of masters of the cinema like Fellini, Kurosawa, Renoir, stars like Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, and a complete BBC Shakespeare. That should keep me occupied for a long time.

No comments: