Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dogs, Shakespeare

At lau hio hnui the other day I wondered if the well fed well groomed stray dog with a beautiful coat belonged to the coffee stall. I asked the boss who in answer gave the waiting dog a slice of bread telling him to go home. He disappeared in a flash, the bread between his teeth.

At the sio bar stall I asked the boss whether he had replaced his dog which had died of old age with another. Yes he said. He took a pariah pup when it was still blind and fed it with a milk bottle. Now it had groan big but its bark was strange - more a groan, like a long “wooooow.”

Peace and quiet at last. The piling having ended I snatched an hour of starved sleep.

Bought a Toyota Rush to replace the Prado. It has a cassette player which is very welcome for I am now able to go through my BBC collection: Edward Greenfield playing his huge library. Talks on classical music and opera, jazz and poetry, music from Africa and Latin America, Jazz for the Asking, Anything Goes. Requests came from all over the world. It was these BBC talks that taught me that many singers based their singing on Louis Armstrong. The condition of the cassettes is very good. I don’t tune I to the BBC nowadays because all you get is football and more football.

Shakespeare compels KH's attention after meals. Plots and murders, scheming nobles and ruthless kings and cardinals - great theatre!

No comments: